Tobacco Institute from Prilep is a public scientific institution, a member of the University "St. Kliment Ohridski" - Bitola.
The Tobacco Institute makes scientific-research investigations, educational, applicative, publishing, productional and other activities in the field of tobacco breeding.
The work of the Institute is focused on:
- Creation of new varieties and maintenance and improvement of the existing ones
- Optimization of agricultural practices
- Investigation of diseases, pests and weeds
- Determination of the chemical composition of tobacco and tobacco products
- Monitoring of the after-harvest procession of tobacco
- Investigation of tobacco crop from the economic viewpoint
Today, the Institute is in possession of the following objects:
- Administrative building where offices, laboratories, cabinets and other services are located
- Economic building with the store-houses for
- seed material,
- tobacco for experimental purpose, and
- tobacco for mass production.
- The third building, which was originally planned for tobacco fermentation, is now housing the Institute for Ancient Slavic Culture and the Tobacco Museum;
- Experimental field with an area of about 31 hectares
- Library with over 4211 books and 125 titles of scientific and research publications
- Tobacco Museum with permanent exhibition consisting of 1600 exhibits. Art collection of 150 art works in paintings and sculpture and two models of old Macedonian houses
- Meteorological Station